30.1.08

Seeing a glimpse of heaven in each other

I have to be honest...I haven't thought about my grandparents in a long time. I've spent some time reminiscing about them, their life and the legacy they left the last couple days.

I can honestly say that the earthly person who influenced me the most in my life and he would never know it is my grandpa. You see, he was a man of great love and life, even in his last days. He would welcome anyone with open arms, a warm meal and he'd even probably poke a few jokes to make you feel at home.

This man I call my Grandpa isn't actually related by blood at all. You see, this man married my grandma, adopted my mom, along with my aunts and uncles when they were in high school. My real grandfather I've never met. All I know about him is that he was a cruel and violent man.

I don't know what this says about the thickness of blood but what I do know is that it gives me a glimpse into the power of love. I don't know what Grandpa was like when he was a child and I don't know about his upbringing, but I do know that his love for my family is transforming the brokenness and pain which resides in it...even after his death.

Thank God that we are not in this alone. Thank God that we can learn about "on earth, like it is in heaven." Thank God that whether we know him or not, he knows us and works through us in ways that I could never understand...leaving me at the foot of the cross saying "more."

grandparents

No comments: